Choosing the Right Vacuum Cleaner
How to choose the right vacuum cleaner for your home the there are so many to choose from?
Vacuum cleaners aren’t something we should be buying all the time. Given the cost of most vacuum cleaners it is important not only to find the right vacuum for your needs but also to find a vacuum that lasts the distance. A good vacuum should be something that lasts you for years with consistent maintenance and correct use.
At Valei we choose the Sebo upright Automatic X vacuum cleaner. Why? These Germain made vacuums are the best. Granted the cost to buy these vacuums isn’t cheap ($800 +) but we have found after trying different brands and systems that these Sebo vacuums are both well made but easy to operate and care for. We also like the Sebo vacuums because of the multiple types of filter systems they have standard on their vacuums including HEPA filters. Sebo ensures their filters are tested and certified to correct HEPA standards which is required by law for sale in Europe while here in the US can label a filter as being a HEPA filter without any certification etc. which results in many of these filters failing to meet the correct European standards.
Sebo vacuums use the bag collection method which is also superior to dirt and particulate matter collection than the more common bagless versions that are so common these days.
Bagless seems like a good idea but you can find a wealth of results out there that show these vacuums aren’t nearly as effective at collecting all the different dust and particulates in the air in your home and on your floor surfaces.
For decades no one really thought much about indoor air quality until scientists at the U.S. Department of Energy’s Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab) made the discovery that the aggregate health consequences of poor indoor air quality are as significant as those from all traffic accidents or infectious diseases in the United States.
So having both a well working vacuum cleaner and one that is effective is really a benefit to our overhaul health. Especially as most Americans spend 70 to 90% of their time indoors.
How to choose the right vacuum for your home?
Modern vacuums come in a range of cool colors and designs. What matters most is how well they clean. Here’s what to consider:
- Choose a vacuum cleaner that will work with the different types of floor surfaces you have in your home? Some vacuums have automatic surface detection systems installed like the Sebo vacuums we use at Valei that automatically detect the type of floor surface and automatically adjust to compensate.
- Choose a bag system for all the good points we made above. Your health should always be a consideration and you want a vacuum that will collect as much dust and dirt as possible every time you use it.
- Choose a vacuum that feels comfortable for you. Make sure you don’t buy a vacuum that is too heavy to lift and to push and pull while using. Try the vacuum out. If you can I encourage you to stop by a local dealer so you can ask as many questions as you can think of to ensure you are buying the right vacuum cleaner.
- Choose a vacuum that has an ample collection of add on cleaning tools to clean furniture surfaces, hard to reach spots like stairs, under furniture etc. A narrow tool for crevices, a small upholstery brush and a round brush for cleaning. On canister vacuums, a powered intake cleans carpets more throughly than a simple suction intake, Edge cleaners are an optional tool and can pick up dirt under the whole area of the cleaning head. This is useful when cleaning wall-to-wall carpeting as the vacuum will clean right up to where the carpet and the wall meet.
- Keep a look out for sales and discounts especially during the holiday season.
We hope this is helpful knowledge. As always please feel free to contact the Valei team if we can be of any assistance and Like / Follow us on social media to learn more about Valei and our services as well as upcoming residential service specials we offer. Thank you.